19.2.11

The Smell

So… I have this Creative Writing book… and there was an exercise: describe the smells around you. I was at a café, drinking milk with cinnamon, quite uninspiring, yeah...

5 hours later I found my smell. I was holding someone for the first time and I thought: here it is - the smell worth describing. The smell of surprise and warmth, the smell of fear and trust, the smell of the Great Unknown… The smell of hope. And knowing that I’ve always hated that smell made it twice as startling. Getting used to a completely new smell, a new body, a new aura...

- Just another perfect moment, - I said breathing in. – Funny how you find strength to find meaning again…

I tried really hard to find a simile that would describe this new smell. It was sweet but astringent – like medicine… At first it reminded me of cough syrup, but suddenly I knew: it was liquorish! A new body smelling like liquorish... inviting and not acceptable at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment